Friday, February 25, 2011

"I'm bored!"

This week is school vacation week for myself and the kids. Correction; this week is school vacation week for the kids, and "play-date-scheduling; craft-project-organizing; cookie-baking; house-cleaning" week for me.

All four of the kids are home. So far this week I have organized four play dates (among two children); taken kids out to lunch and to the craft store; organized a morning of painting; baked chocolate chip cookies AND chocolate chip pancakes; helped kids clean out their rooms; organized dance parties in the living room; and generally maintained peace. (well, a semblance of peace).

I am EXHAUSTED! Don't get me wrong, I love that my job allows me to be home with my kids on school vacation weeks, but how is it possible that four small children can make such huge messes? Or such loud interactions? These kids go from being the best of friends to the worst of enemies in seconds flat. They leave a path of destruction from one room to the next; it's like a trail so you can find the kids if they go missing.

My biggest complaint, however, is the constant "I'm bored!" Actually, that's a lie. My kids don't even have the deceny to admit to being bored. Nope. They just hang around me whining or getting incredible silly.

We built an addition on our house five years ago. With that addition came a play room. Yes. An entire room devoted to PLAYING. to TOYS. I could probably sell all the toys these children own, and pay off the house. And yet.... "I'm bored".

So, from out of my mouth comes: "go play with legos, playmobile, playdough, moon sand, crayons, magic tricks, gears, puppets, read a book, play with dolls, play dress up, cure cancer, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO BUT LEAVE ME AND YOUR SISTERS/BROTHERS ALONE!!!!!!


I know I was never this needy.

No comments: