Saturday, January 8, 2011

12 days of chaos

Although I realize that Epiphany (and the end of Christmas) was a few days ago, I've never been on time for anything at all, ever, so will post my 12 days of Christmas post today.


On the 12th day of Christmas my family gave to me:

12 different kinds of candy to decorate our counters gingerbread house

11 days of school vacation
(during which I managed not to kill any of my children!
A Christmas miracle indeed)

10 Various types of ornaments on the kids' Christmas tree
(that may be an underestimate)
9 Treats for Santa
8 Happy second cousins!
(Well, 9 if you count the little guy in the back...)

7 People opening presents on Christmas morning!
(Meaning: huge mess of wrapping paper and extreme excitement.
It's a wonder no pieces were lost!)

6 Pounds of sugar eaten
(Per child per day)


5 Children who mostly sat through church
(jumping and yelling during Silent Night
is acceptable when you're two, right?)
4 nice warm Snuggies
3 Excited children
2 excited babies

1 Very happy holiday season

I realized I never really wrote a post about Christmas itself. I think that's probably because I am still recovering from Christmas itself. We had a great time, but it was so crazy. Aisling and Wyatt were both pretty sick over vacation. Neither of them were able to go to church on Christmas eve. Therefore, I was also not able to get any pictures of the kids in their Christmas outfits. Aisling and Siobhan both had matching dresses that also matched dresses for their dolls; totally cute.

We generally tend to not take a lot of pictures on Christmas morning either. I don't know how people are able to get their kids to sit nice and still in their pajamas in front of the Christmas tree in the morning. My kids won't sit still long enough to eat, let alone sit for a picture. Christmas morning in our house is spent opening stockings, and then running around the house begging for Poppy to arrive so the gift opening can begin. It's the longest 3 hours of my life!

I think that the highlight of this particular Christmas season, though, was the following conversation I had with Connor. We, like most families, can get caught up in the consumer side of Christmas; it's easy to do with so many young kids in the house. We are also, however, a family that goes to church regularly and has open conversations about our faith and beliefs. I was thrilled then when Connor was able to explain to me what Christmas was about. I have gotten the stock answer of "Jesus' birthday" since the kids were in pre-school. This year, however, Connor explained to me that Jesus' birthday is important because "Jesus died for us, and that's pretty special".

I'd say he gets it.

No comments: