Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh My.

Watch these videos. Don't worry, they're short. I'll wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tK2TxYtBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXb7q81B67k

Now, most of you probably know that we practice extended breastfeeding in our home, which means we breastfeed beyond one year. According to this loony I should be sent to prison!

A few facts: The American Academy of Pediatricians (AAP) recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months, then continued breastfeeding until one year, or longer as long as is mutually desired. (read more about that here: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3B100/6/1035)

Also, you will hear that the average age for weaning humans worldwide is 4. (Read more about that here: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html)

Beyond showing those facts to contradict what she is saying, I find issue with these statements: "We are not animals". I'm sorry, but anyone who has completed third grade understands that we are, in fact, part of the animal kingdom. I wonder what she does think we are, if we are not animals. She also says "Breastfeeding is not natural". Again, what? Seriously, I have the choice to feed my child with the natural perfect food created by God and manufactured for my specific child, or I can feed my child a powder, created in a factory, and mixed with water. Hmmm..... I wonder which I'll choose. Now, I understand there are people who choose not to breastfeed, and to each their own. However, to say that breastfeeding is not natural is obviously so incorrect. She also states that breastfeeding is akin to sexual abuse. Well, I am pretty sure that the only person in my household who views my breasts as anything sexual is Al. (And, apparently this crazy loon).

I am not ashamed to say to you that Connor breastfed until he was 3 1/2. Some of my most favorite memories are nursing him and his newborn sister at the same time. He used to rub her head and they would hold hands. I am convinced it's one of the reasons they are so close. Now, Aisling still occasionally nurses at age four. It's much longer than I expected, but, you know what? If she needs to nurse every now and then to understand that I still love her very much even though, in her mind, I've replaced her with a newer model, who am I to deny her that.

I am so grateful to have been able to breastfeed successfully. I realize many people can't. I just am so shocked that this woman would state that breastfeeding is wrong, and formula feeding is better. Really, does she live in a cave?

No comments: