Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Social Distancing, Day 5

Hello!
It's sure been a hot minute since I've been on here. Weird things happening all around with this Corona Virus afoot.

I felt like it was important to document our lives in this strange time. I've been thinking about what this time will be like to explain to our grandchildren and thought I needed to write it all down. I toyed with using a paper and pencil journal, but decided to go digital. There's a few reasons for that; one is that I wanted to be able to include pictures. But the other one is that using a journal just feels so final. For some reason this feels less stressful.

Today is day five of social distancing. Al is still working for the time being. The kids and I are home from school. Connor had been going back and forth to his girlfriend's house, but then her brother got very sick so he had to come home. He likely won't see her for a pretty long while, so that's really sad.

I've worked on compiling some resources for Siobhan. Aisling has lots of things to work on and Connor is doing his own thing. (Which hopefully involves applying for college scholarships...)

I'm trying to maintain a basic schedule, especially for Siobhan. I realize I'm coming at this with an amount of privilege not everyone has, but we are all doing our best.

We started our day with some Yoga today. 

Siobhan did a bit of school work today; including having an online meeting with her homeroom. I am so grateful to her teachers for helping her to stay connected to her peers. 

She also worked on cooking her own lunch. (Grilled cheese!) 

I did some work. (We are required to be working from home and available for our entire work day. This is a challenge with the kids home and the stress we are experiencing. However, I have friends who have lost their jobs so I am grateful). 


We had an afternoon field trip! We did an online facebook live with the Cincinnati Zoo! Siobhan learned all about Ocelots. The resource also included a worksheet and game idea! Highly recommend. 

This afternoon I even got some yardwork done. 
I do not know when the last time was that happened. 

We played a Monopoly game with dinner. Aisling won. =) 

Overall these days have been tricky. Working hard to present a brave face to the kids and keeping a sense of routine in the chaos. Siobhan strives in routine and I need to stick to it for her. I need to be responsible for my job and my staff as well, as well as my home client. There's a lot of not feeling like "enough". I'm worried about Wyatt, who has just returned home after a hospitalization with pneumonia. A lot of worry, a lot of concern for my dad who is living alone. It's an emotionally exhausting time. 

There are good things happening as well. I'm loving the extra time with Connor before he leaves for school in the fall. I love getting to spend time with the girls and remember their amazing personalities. And, of course, the slow pace is great. Those are certainly some blessings. 

I'm hopeful we will all stay safe and healthy across this time. 

No comments: