Tuesday, November 11, 2008

discipline

My not-quite-related-through-marriage-never-met-'IRL'-live-in-different-countries-dear-friend Grazia sent this to me. I thought it was hilarious!
____________________________________________________________________
Subject: Tough Love vs. Spanking - Good Argument

Most people think it improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of 'those moments.'

One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car ride and talk.

Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc.

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car ride together. Eye to eye contact helps a lot too.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique.


This works with grandchildren,
nieces, and nephews as well.

4 comments:

angeleyes Blue said...

A car ride...I was brought up by the HOT WHISPER IN THE EAR TECHNIQUE. My 2 kiddos were raised by the natural consequences discipline. They are now teens and enough said.

When they were younger we would as a family have to sit at the dining room table and BE QUIET with daddy. This was very effective. Usually after about 45 minutes of quiet, kids would start to cry and fess up. That is when daddy would say I love you but I am very disappointed in your choices. What do you think we should do now?! What do you think we should do about it now?!

As a mom and always supportive it was AWFUL having to sit and WAIT! It was just awful. Glad we are past that now. Both teens say that was the worst!

mamafrugoli said...

Wow, 45 minutes of quiet, I don't think we've had that in our house like, ever. =)

Unknown said...

You have three gems. I only have one who is now 27 and really, sometimes, I think he could still do with some disciplining!
Ah, kids. What would we do without them?!

angeleyes Blue said...

Hey VTmama--It worked. I also realize that 2 is way different than 3. This family has found that Natural consequences is the ticket. It has gone through elementary as well as pre-teens and now teens.

Our kiddos both seem to have a good head on their shoulders and appear to be making great choices. I need to qualify that with appears as I have learned that with teenagers you never know.

We never allowed sleepovers only on birthdays. We always insisted on family dinner at the house every night. Now as teens they are truly never here :( I have learned. They are required to check in after school EVERY day. Daughter is a Sophomore in high school so she doesn't have a job yet.....I am sure when she turns 16 she will be working also.

Brother has a job and is manager so he works often as long as he keeps his grades up. He eats at work as does Daddy. Mom of teens can be lonely sometimes. The good thing is that we DO GO TO CHURCH as a family every Sunday :)